To make sure we are all on the same page and keep everyone safe,
If you are are a participant in of the 2023 49th annual Irmo Okra Strut Parade please click here to look at our Policies and Procedures.
Okra Strut Parade FAQ:
1: Date and Times of Okra Strut?
Friday September, 29th, 2023 starting at 6pm. We will have live musical performances, amusement rides, food and drinks. We are excited to announce “Under The Canopy” will be back! Ready just in time for Friday at the Strut! Under the trees just beyond the stage we will have tables decorated for a nice dinner, with twinkling lights just over head. You will have a view of the stage in the distance and hear the music at the perfect level for a dinner conversation. This year all food vendors will be serving until 11pm and they will be offering your favorites right next to local artists and craft vendors.
Saturday September, 30th, 2023. The 49th Annual Irmo Okra Strut Parade will be held at 9am. The Grand Marshal for this year’s parade is Irmo High School’s Coach Whipple. The parade will be located on St. Andrews Rd, between Wescott Rd. and Lake Murray Blvd.
Saturday starting at 10am the Okra Strut festivities will begin in the Irmo Community Park. There will be dozens of vendors and exhibitors for you to stop by and visit. Many will have games or free samples as well as items for purchase. Under The Canopy will be another fun spot on Saturday with free crafting activities throughout the day for children! Or enjoy some shopping of the local artists for those early holiday presents.
The amusement rides will be up and running and we will have attractions on the big stage all day. These attractions include local performances, Okra Eating Contests and lots more. Enjoy dinner Under The Canopy, a great date night for those who love great music and delicious food.
2: Parking and Road Closures
We heard your complaints and want to make parking easier this year. Parking will be at the following locations:
- Irmo Wellness Center Address: 7182 Woodrow St, Irmo, SC 29063
- Union United Methodist Church Address: 7582 Woodrow St, Irmo, SC 29063
Free shuttle is running from these two parking locations. Handicap bus is will be picking up from Imro Wellness Center. Shuttle Buses will be at each location every 20 mins for pick up and drop off.
- Irmo Community Park: 7473 Church St. Irmo SC 29063
Onsite parking. Entrance cost $10.00 cash only open Friday 9/29 from 5:30PM to 11:00PM; Saturday open from 9:00AM to 10:00PM. No overnight parking. All cars must be removed at end of each day. Subject to ticket and/or towing. No in and out privileges.
The South Carolina Department of Transportation has approved the following roads to be closed for the 2021 Okra Strut:
Friday Sept. 29th: ***FESTIVAL***
- *Eastview Dr. (between Battery Rd. & Lake Murray Blvd.) 12pm UNTIL 11:30pm
Saturday Sept. 30th: ***PARADE***
The following roads will close at 8:50am, and the parade will start at 9am from Crossroads Middle:
- *St. Andrews Rd. (between Wescott Rd. & Lake Murray Blvd.)
- *Gibbes St. (Entire street)
- *Lexington Ave. (between Gibbes St. & Lake Murray Blvd.)
- *Eastview Dr. (between Battery Rd. & Lake Murray Blvd.) 6am UNTIL 11:30pm
- Church Street is one-way the entire festival exiting the park to Lake Murray Blvd, Moseley Avenue is one-way entering the paid parking lot.
3: What time do I need to show up?
• Parade staging will begin at 6am at Crossroads Middle School. All units must be in place by 8:45am.
• Only vehicles that are registered and approved to appear in the parade (“Parade Vehicles”) are permitted in the staging area. Once a vehicle enters the staging area, it is not permitted to leave until the parade has begun.
• Vehicles may drop off parade participants in the drive-through area in front of Crossroads Middle School. No parking is permitted in this area; drop-offs only.
• Participants and others may park vehicles (“Non-Parade Vehicles”) in designated Okra Strut parking lots (Irmo Wellness Center and Union United Methodist Church). Shuttle buses travel to and from the festival site at Irmo Community Park and these parking areas.
• If your entry includes the use of music, either live or recorded, you must notify the festival in your application. Entries with amplified music will be spaced in the parade to lessen overlap of sounds. If your application does not indicate use of music, please contact the office or you may be forced to do without your music.
4: Parade Route and Activities
• Each unit should include a sign or placard stating the name of the entry and sponsor.
• Children under the age of 14 must have adult supervision during the event.
• Small children walking in the parade must have approved transportation on hand, or someone willing and able to carry them should they tire.
• Only trained horses and experienced riders will be allowed to participate in the parade. Horses must be diapered or owners must provide clean-up crews to follow the horses. Clean up during the parade as well as before and after for horses or other animals will be the responsibility of the owner and/or rider.
• THE THROWING OF GUM, CANDY AND/OR OTHER MATERIAL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED – NO EXCEPTIONS. You may hand out candy and you are permitted to hand out material while walking with the parade as long as the material/candy is placed in someone’s hand and not dropped on the ground.
• The judging stand is located near the corner of St. Andrews Road and Fork Road. Awards are given to Best Commercial/Business Unit, Best Non-Profit/Community Group Unit and Best Marching Unit.
• DUE TO THE VOLUME OF UNITS IN THIS PARADE, ABSOLUTELY NO UNIT MAY STOP THE PARADE for performances or any activity.
• NO WALKING VENDORS WILL BE PERMITTED ALONG THE PARADE ROUTE unless previously approved by the Okra Strut Commission.
5: What do I do when the parade ends?
• The parade marches into Irmo Elementary School and disburses from there. Non-Parade Vehicles are not allowed into this area.
• Shuttle buses will be running to and from the festival site at Irmo Community Park and Irmo Elementary School, as well as other designated Okra Strut parking lots. Shuttle buses drop off at Okra Man at the festival site; so you and your parade participant can “Meet Me at Okra Man” after the parade.
• If you are not meeting your parade participant at the festival site, arrange to meet at a location within walking distance of Irmo Elementary School
Follow The Okra Strut And Don’t Miss A Thing!
With so much packed into two days, you may want to follow us on Facebook so you can see all the great things we have for you to experience!